Consultation and Training Services
NADD can provide state of the art consultation or training to individual agencies, consortia of organizations, and/or governmental units concerning a broad spectrum of areas on mental health issues in persons with intellectual disability. NADD has the resources to provide either consultation or training services on all subject areas listed below:
- Assessment approaches
- Diagnosing mental health in persons with intellectual disability
- Community based program models that have proven effective
- MR offenders – Risk assessment, prevention & treatment
- Sexual issues – Abuse & prevention, disorders, inappropriate behavior, vulnerability
- Administration & system issues – Program design, outcome measures, inter-agency collaboration and inter-system cooperation
- Research – Prevalence, types of psychiatric disorders, outcome measures
- Medication – Appropriate medications associated with specific psychiatric disorders
- Residential services – Community bases services, individualized residential environments, small group homes, supported living
- Syndromes – Tourrette’s Disorder, psychiatric phenotypes, TIC / Compulsion spectrum disorder, FAS, Fragile X, Downes, other neurogenetic disorders
NADD, through its large network of resources, can provide expert consultation on any of the issues mentioned above. Well known authorities in the field will meet with representatives from your organization to help with the analysis and solutions to your problems.
The field of dual diagnosis is not static and new knowledge is shaping the configuration of appropriate services and supports.
It would be wise to learn from authorities who have already addressed the issues and problems you may be encountering. Experience and a proven track record can provide you with the results you want.
A knowledgeable staff, at all levels, is essential to providing quality services. Professional staff such as nurses, physicians, psychiatrists, psychologists and social workers need to be armed with a wealth of knowledge concerning various aspects of mental health issues in persons who have developmental disabilities. This is also true for direct care staff as well as families. NADD can provide training to meet the needs of your staff.
NADD has 28 years of experience in providing training. We can assist in your consultation and/or training needs. NADD has access to experts from around the world to address any of the above listed areas. For more information contact NADD Executive Director, Dr. Robert Fletcher.
Examples of Services
The following areas are examples that are intended to give an idea of the types of consultation services or training opportunities NADD can expertly provide concerning mental health needs of persons with developmental disabilities:
- How to effectively use an interdisciplinary team and a psychiatric consult.
- What are the distinctions or similarities between a behavioral problem and a psychiatric disorder.
- How to conduct a bio-psycho-social mental health assessment diagnosis.
- What are appropriate medication treatments for specific psychiatric disorders.
- How to effectively integrate mental health treatment with behavioral approaches.
- What are the essential elements in the assessment and treatment of sexually inappropriate behaviors.
- How to provide individual and group therapy that works.
- What are the approaches toward the development of collaboration between the mental health and developmental disability systems.
- How to design and develop accessible, appropriate and affordable housing options.
- What is needed to develop partnerships between family and service providers.
- How can a person make a successful transition from the school environment to world of work.
- Important components in the design of a successful day program
- How to transition from an institutional setting to community-based services.
For more information, please contact:
Robert J. Fletcher, DSW
30 Years of Progress:
Ready for the Future
“The NADD competency-based clinical certification has provided me with an avenue to verify a dual diagnosis specialty. My ability to provide clinical supports to individuals supported both by medical assistance and private insurances has been expanded by allowing me to gain access to closed insurance networks. These networks had been closed to me prior to receiving this certification, allowing this population to remain largely unserved outside of community mental health centers.”
Alyse Kerr, MS, NCC, LPC, NADD-CC
NADD Membership Offer
NADD is offering a special introductory new member rate of $99 for 2013.
For a limited time period, NADD has reduced the new individual member fee from $125 to $99. This is a 20% savings available for new NADD members.
Act NOW and SAVE!
Click here to join.
Click here to read about the benefits of NADD membership.
Accreditation and Certification
An important, pioneering effort to improve clinical, programmatic, and policy procedures and supports.
By establishing standards, the NADD Accreditation and Certification Programs will raise the whole field of dual diagnosis, improving competency and improving how services are delivered, resulting in a better quality of life for individuals with co-occurring ID/MH and MI through improved services.
Click here for details
Available in the NADD Store:
Comprehensive Competence-Based Parenting Assessment
Mental Health & Intellectual Disability: A Training Manual in Dual Diagnosis
Psychotherapy for Individuals with Intellectual Disability
Click here for the Top 100 Products from NADD
Sign up for the NADD Mailing List